'Split This Rock' Poetry Festival Attracts Visitors
About 500 people came out for the third annual "Split This Rock" Poetry Festival that took place March 22-25 throughout D.C. Attendees traveled across the nation for the festival featuring a number of sessions about writing and poetry.
"Split This Rock" began in 2008 with a purpose of connecting individuals through the art of poetry. This year's festival paid tribute to writer June Jordan, who died in 2002. Sara Browning, director of "Split This Rock," said though she never met Jordan she was inspired by her "fierce honesty" and ability to "go to very difficult places" and be direct in her work. The district has a rich tradition of African-American poets like Langston Hughes and Paul Laurence Dunbar, Browning said.
"Part of our vision at 'Split This Rock' is to celebrate that tradition," Browning said. "Lift it up, make sure people know it, and celebrating June this year is part of that piece of our mission."
Among the poets featured in this year's festival were Sonia Sanchez, Douglas Kearney and Kim Johnson, who appeared at Carlos Rosario High School on March 22.
"For so many 'Split This Rock' is the place where they meet like-minded folks," Browning said. "They build common cause and they have their own courage restored, bolstered for the good work they're doing in their notebooks, on their computers, but also throughout their communities."
For more information about Split This Rock, visit http://www.splitthisrock.org/.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Howard University News Service News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE
- From Child to Man in the Circus
- Sisters Turn Hobby Into Profitable Business
- UniverSoul Promises Unique, Joyous Circus Experience
- New Farmers Market Offers Food, Music and Fun
- Councilwoman, Residents Outline Plans for Ward 8
- Obama expresses sorrow over S.C. church shooting
- Friends, Family Honor Slain Journalist
RECENT HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'