Vintage Clothes Make New Fashion Statement
From high-waist jeans to Marilyn Monroe inspired dresses, vintage clothing proves that trends never disappear, but instead resurface over time.
Wearing vintage clothing is a fashion statement, which celebrities, socialites and ordinary people flock to resale shops for. They even make excellent gifts for the holidays since they are inexpensive, creative and rare.
"I enjoy shopping at thrift stores because I know that I will get exclusive articles of clothing," Shayna Bailey, a sophomore fashion merchandising major, said. "If someone gave me a gift from a vintage store I would think that the person knows me well and is pretty stylish themselves since all the celebs are doing it."
Vintage clothing can be any piece of clothing manufactured more than 10 years ago. When shopping for these items, however, it is important to take your time to shop in order to sort through hundreds of original pieces.
"In my opinion fashion repeats itself. Things that went out of style 20 years ago are now the latest trends," Kenalia Harris, a sophomore sports medicine major, said. "Vintage stores allow you to not only find great clothes but great deals as well."
Some tips when shopping for vintage clothing are to try things on and know your measurements. Dimensions are not consistent throughout every decade; therefore, sizes on labels of vintage clothes have no correlation to the sizes of today's clothing.
When shopping at the store, dressing in layers makes it easier and faster to try on clothing. Wearing a leotard, leggings or tank top under your clothing makes it possible to try on clothes even if there is no fitting room. This comes especially handy at flea markets and garage sales.
Once you find something you wouldn't want to lose this amazing find to the next customer because you had to run to the ATM, so consider bringing cash. Cash is universally accepted at all locations, like the flea market, consignment shops and garage sales.
Though many boutiques and larger thrift stores accept credit cards, debit cards and, occasionally, personal checks, not all smaller stores do.
Lastly, remember to consider the condition of the clothes or accessories you are purchasing at the vintage stores.One should inspect the clothing beforehand in well-lit areas for tears, stains or missing buttons.
However, do not be deterred by some wear-and-tear, because it is previously used merchandise, just make sure the item is in a presentable condition.
"I shop at vintage stores because it's a lot cheaper than regular stores. Plus, there's just so many good finds," Saadiq Vaughan said. "Everything that's in style now has already been in style before. Why not buy the originals?"
"The whole thrifty look is a part of my style so I shop at places that offer items of that caliber," Vaughan said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Howard University News Service News Articles
Recent Howard University News Service News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE
- Howard University Students, Faculty Preview "Hidden Figures"
- President Obama, Family Light the National Christmas Tree for the Final Time
- D.C. Mayor Says Capital Will Remain Sanctuary City
- From the Chalkboard to the Timeline
- Food2Feed Helps DC Area Families at Thanksgiving
- Children Say Goodbye to their First Lady
- Obama Says Country is Better Off Than Eight Years Ago
RECENT HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Chiropractic Care Now Covered By Most Insurance Plans
- Foodies Flock to Greater Fort Lauderdale's Dining...
- Yes, Olivia, There Is a Santa, and He's Calling You
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind