Vintage Clothes Make New Fashion Statement
From high-waist jeans to Marilyn Monroe inspired dresses, vintage clothing proves that trends never disappear, but instead resurface over time.
Wearing vintage clothing is a fashion statement, which celebrities, socialites and ordinary people flock to resale shops for. They even make excellent gifts for the holidays since they are inexpensive, creative and rare.
"I enjoy shopping at thrift stores because I know that I will get exclusive articles of clothing," Shayna Bailey, a sophomore fashion merchandising major, said. "If someone gave me a gift from a vintage store I would think that the person knows me well and is pretty stylish themselves since all the celebs are doing it."
Vintage clothing can be any piece of clothing manufactured more than 10 years ago. When shopping for these items, however, it is important to take your time to shop in order to sort through hundreds of original pieces.
"In my opinion fashion repeats itself. Things that went out of style 20 years ago are now the latest trends," Kenalia Harris, a sophomore sports medicine major, said. "Vintage stores allow you to not only find great clothes but great deals as well."
Some tips when shopping for vintage clothing are to try things on and know your measurements. Dimensions are not consistent throughout every decade; therefore, sizes on labels of vintage clothes have no correlation to the sizes of today's clothing.
When shopping at the store, dressing in layers makes it easier and faster to try on clothing. Wearing a leotard, leggings or tank top under your clothing makes it possible to try on clothes even if there is no fitting room. This comes especially handy at flea markets and garage sales.
Once you find something you wouldn't want to lose this amazing find to the next customer because you had to run to the ATM, so consider bringing cash. Cash is universally accepted at all locations, like the flea market, consignment shops and garage sales.
Though many boutiques and larger thrift stores accept credit cards, debit cards and, occasionally, personal checks, not all smaller stores do.
Lastly, remember to consider the condition of the clothes or accessories you are purchasing at the vintage stores.One should inspect the clothing beforehand in well-lit areas for tears, stains or missing buttons.
However, do not be deterred by some wear-and-tear, because it is previously used merchandise, just make sure the item is in a presentable condition.
"I shop at vintage stores because it's a lot cheaper than regular stores. Plus, there's just so many good finds," Saadiq Vaughan said. "Everything that's in style now has already been in style before. Why not buy the originals?"
"The whole thrifty look is a part of my style so I shop at places that offer items of that caliber," Vaughan said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Howard University News Service News Articles
Recent Howard University News Service News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE
- And Weed for All: The Man Behind DC's Marijuana Movement Looks to the Future
- A Day in the Life of Meals on Wheels
- Milk & Honey: Black-Owned Restaurant Shares Recipe for Success
- Casa Ruby: Changing Lives in the LGBTQ Community
- Howard University President Holds Town Hall Meeting
- Many Anxious as New Justice Considers Pivotal Cases
- What's Going On With Marvin Gaye Park
RECENT HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum