Kamrin Moore leads Bishop O'Connell Football Squad
Senior Is Headed to Boston College
Bishop O'Connell's Kamrin Moore will attend Boston College next year.
After having their first non-losing record since 2008 last fall with a 5-5 mark, the Bishop O'Connell Knights want to up the ante this season and qualify for the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference postseason. The last year that happened for the high school football team was in 2003.
"We believe we have a good team," second-year O'Connell coach Del Smith said. "As a program, our goal is to make the playoffs. To do that we'll have to beat one of those good teams in our conference like Good Counsel, St. John's, Gonzaga or DeMatha."
Unlike many O'Connell teams in the past, this year's team has a good chance of competing, and that's largely due to their senior Captain Kamrin Moore. Moore is a 6-foot-1, 190-pound running back/ defensive back committed to Boston College.
Moore has not yet been rated by any of the major recruiting services. "I'm not worried about ratings," Moore said. "People will notice my individual talent in due time. My main focus this season is to make the playoffs."
O'Connell's season thus far has been mediocre with a 4-4 record through eight games with two games remaining this season.
"We beefed up our schedule up a bit this season. These games should help us be ready for our conference opponents," Smith said.
With two games remaining this season, O'Connell will need to win both games in order to qualify for playoffs. "The pressure is definitely on, but as a team we're ready and looking forward to the challenge. We know McNamara will be a tough game but we're ready," Moore said.
Eager to begin his collegiate career, Moore has been preparing for the more physical and up-tempo college game by working with a personal trainer. "Boston College is going to be a great fit for me because I'll be playing my natural position, safety. I can use my speed on the defensive end to cause match up problems for opponents," Moore said.
There are many things Moore is working on to improve his skills and on-field performance. "I'm working on my strength with a trainer. I know Division 1 guys are bigger and stronger than high school guys," Moore said. "Also, I'm working on my leadership role."
No one has noticed Moore's growth more than Coach Smith. "Kam Moore is definitely a vocal, and example type leader for us," Smith said.
Through eight games, Moore has 452 total yards and averages 6.85 yards per carry with seven touchdowns this season. Moore's 29-yard reception has been his longest this season.
The stage is set for the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference championship game on the campus of American University as Moore looks to cap off a stellar senior season and lead his O'Connell Knights to their first ever WCAC championship. With two games remaining in the season, O'Connell must win their next two games in order to advance. "When the lights are on, it's time to perform," said Moore, excited about the thought of leading his team to the playoffs.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Howard University News Service News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE NEWS
- How Being Black and From the South Can Weigh You Down
- HU Joins Fight Against Ebola
- Second Mayoral Debate Gets Personal as Candidates Joust Over City’s Problems
- Mayoral Candidates Focus on Older Residents in AARP Forum
- Howard University Student Becomes Youngest Elected Official in D.C. History
- Former Love Nightclub in NE DC Sold
- Lowe's Planned for Fort Lincoln in NE DC
RECENT HOWARD UNIVERSITY NEWS SERVICE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”